A community may wish to protect its land for many reasons. Some examples are:
- To maintain this precious resource for generations to come.
- To protect farm land and food security.
- To preserve a home for wildlife, birds, fish or plants necessary to support the network of life.
- To ensure public health by protecting water resources.
- To maintain forests to absorb carbon and lessen the impacts of climate change.
- To permanently prevent loss to development.
The following stories present a broad range of reasons and circumstances: